Thursday, April 24, 2014

True North - Scrapbook Circle

What do you get when you combine 1 large photo, 3 patterned papers, a dash of die-cuts and a pinch of wood veneers? The current challenge at Scrapbook Circle, of course! Yes, we are hosting an old-school recipe challenge and this is my take:


Over Spring Break, usually the first day, we take a traditional family day trip to Sacramento. We always visit Old Town and the State Railroad Museum, and then sometimes we also do the Sacramento Zoo or Fairytale Town. This year, because Carson is studying California history in school, we decided to visit Sutter's Fort. Sutter's Fort is located right in the heart of downtown Sacramento. Surrounded by modern buildings, it seems totally out of place. The grounds are beautiful, though, with water, ducks, flowers and dirt paths. You walk inside and it's like you've gone back in time. The exhibits were really informative and the boys had fun exploring. It isn't very big, so it only took a little over an hour, but we picnicked for lunch outside and had a good time before heading to Old Town.



I used this shot of the boys at the entrance for my 1 large photo. I printed it as an 8x10, but you don't have to use a photo that large if you don't want to. To me, large is anything bigger than the 3x3 instagram shots I typically print. I took advantage of the white space in the wall of the fort to design my page. I chose this diagonal blue stripe as one of my three patterned papers because my son is wearing a similar shirt in the photo. I love it when papers match clothes so easily!


I glued my "pinch of wood veneer" triangles in a meandering line across my photo. I thought the path with the triangles leading north was a good way to emphasize my theme. And the die-cut compasses and other travel die-cuts were my "dash of die-cuts".

You can read more about my page at the Scrapbook Circle blog today. You can find all the details for playing along at Scrapbook Circle here. You have two weeks left to play along, and there's a fabulous Oh Darling by Crate Paper prize package up for grabs. You don't have to be a subscriber to play, so I hope to see you join in! Thanks for stopping by :). Tessa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment :). If you don't see your comment appear right away, don't fret. I'm screening for spam and will approve your post as soon as I can. Have a great day!