Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Manly Magnets - GCD Studios

These are not a new or original idea, but I think my application may be unique :). You see, my husband is an auto tech. His work station (bay), is covered in oil and grease and ick. He would love to have a nice photo of his family nearby, but there's no way a frame or printed photograph would survive long. So, I thought magnets on his toolbox would do the trick:


I made them by punching papers from my favorite current GCD Studios line - Splendor - and then punching smaller circles from photos. I glued the photos to the papers, then glued the circles to the glass pebbles. Diamond Glaze is my favorite adhesive for this kind of thing.


Once those were dry, I glued neo-magnets to the back (E6000 is the best glue for this). Now my hubby can enjoy photos of his family by glancing at his toolbox.


The strong magnets aren't easily budged, and they can even hold his important papers. The glass is easily cleaned if it gets dirty. My hubby really liked the idea (although he wasn't supposed to see them until Christmas - oops!) and can't wait to take them to work.

You can find my original post for this project on the GCD Studios blog here. Thanks for stopping by today!

2 comments:

  1. I love this idea!! My husband is also a mechanic, and has the same issue with not being able to have photos and such...I never thought to make some like this! Thanks so much for sharing...I think I just found some stocking stuffers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! Love how you're making your hubby's workstation a little crafty :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment :). If you don't see your comment appear right away, don't fret. I'm screening for spam and will approve your post as soon as I can. Have a great day!